The Workingmans Store was founded in 1921 at 107 Greene St. by Will Koester with his brother-in-law Fred P. Bay as operating manager. The store mainly provided surplus goods, and everything from paint to rubber boots to clothing for boys and men of all ages. The store operated at the Greene St. address until it was moved in 1977 to its current headquarters at 113 Putnam St. in Marietta, OH. In 1985 David Schramm entered the business and expanded the retail locations to include downtown Parkersburg, WV. In 2000 this store was moved to 1201 Grand Central Ave. in Vienna, WV and continues to serve the Parkersburg market.
The Workingmans Store has grown and adapted over the years to the ever changing retail climate. From the 1920’s selling surplus goods to the 21st century specializing in industrial footwear and clothing, uniforms and equipment for public service agencies, quality outdoor clothing for men, mobile truck service, and even formal wear rental and sales. The 21st century also brings an international customer base to Marietta, Ohio with everything we do mirrored on the internet at WorkGear.com for worldwide sales.
While the business model has changed, the core values of customer service and quality products at a fair price have remained constant over 90 years the The Workingmans Store has been serving the working men and women of the Mid Ohio Valley and beyond. These values can be counted on to be the foundation of our growth for 100 years and beyond.